Topic 2 Information on permits and requirements for working in The Netherlands

A non-EU citizen who wants to work in the Netherlands must obtain a valid work permit. This can be applied for either by the employee or the future employer, with the employer usually making the application. The work permit is only valid for the employer who makes the application and expires when the employee leaves the workplace. There is no general work permit in the Netherlands.

The following are the main types of work permits in the Netherlands:

Since 1 April 2014, foreigners who wish to relocate to the Netherlands for work purposes can apply for the GVVA or single permit. This is a combination of the residence permit (verblijfsvergunning) and work permit (tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV). There will be a need for an extra document that would state the employer the foreigner is allowed to work for and the condition of the work. The GVVA is not permitted for students, seasonal workers, asylum seekers, employees transferred within a multinational organization or workers with a maximum of three months.

It allows employers who are IND registered sponsors to hire and keep professionals. The employer obtains work permits for the talented professional and does not have to prove of no suitable match or candidate for the position. The international employee must have a specialization, minimum of bachelor’s degree, and have relevant working experience. The income requirements differs by age.

Orientation year (zoekjaar) permits: It allows non-EU / EAA / Swiss graduates from Dutch Universities to spend a year with the right to search for work without a work permit.

This permit allows self-employment (verblijfsvergunning voor arbeid als zelfstandige) for those who want to start up a business in the Netherlands. The applicant must prove personal experience like training, work, and entrepreneurship, business analytics, and adding value to the Dutch system.

A scientific researcher or international student from Non-EU do not need to obtain a work permit (TWV) for the voluntary jobs. A volunteer declaration (Vrijwilligersverklaring) which is valid for 3 years  is required to apply by the orgnaizations such as an NGOs through the UWV.

What documents are required for Dutch work permit?

The employer must apply for a work permit for Non-EU nationals except Croatians. The employer can only be responsible to request for a work permit. An employee does not have the right to do so. The work permit is approved only when the employer proves unable to find a suitable candidate within the Netherlands and EU after 5 weeks of an open and place vacancy advert with UwV Werkbedrijf.

It is possible to apply for a work permit concurrently with a visa and residence permit. The work permit application through (UWV Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – office for reintegration and temporary income) takes up to 5 weeks to get the decision.

Photo by Freepik: